Make your own free website on Tripod.com

Dr. Lenzo's Tips for Flea, Tick and Heartworm Prevention.

Home
Introducing the newest family member, Monica Belle Lenzo!
First Anniversary - Hiking the Grand Canyon!
Clinic Information
Dr. Lenzo's Seasonal tips
About Dr. Lenzo
Local Area Resources
Dr. Lenzo's Tips for Flea, Tick and Heartworm Prevention.

Lenzo Animal Hospital

Dr. Lenzo's review of Flea and Tick and Heartworm Medications

1 My Picks for Fleas and Ticks!
    A) Best Flea Meds - Revolution and Comfortis
    B) Best Tick Meds - Frontline and Preventic
    C) Best Heartworm Preventative - Interceptor
    D) Best Combination Flea and Heartworm Preventative - Trifexis

2 Flea Meds
   A) Revolution - This medicine is applied to the skin, Kills fleas fast, Bath resistant after 24 hours, lasts 30 days, very safe. In Cats, Revolution is especially effective because it kills Hookworms, Whipworms, Roundworms, Heartworms and Ear Mites.  The only problem I've noticed with Revolution is a small patch of hair loss at the site of administration in some animals. This can be avoided by applying it in several different spots as you use each dose.

   B)  Comfortis - This is an oral flea pill that really works! Comfortis is only for Dogs. It acts very quickly, often within 30 minutes and kills fleas for the whole month. It is probably the most effective flea medication on the market today. It is also very safe. Comfortis must be given with a meal. Vomiting is the only side effect that has been reported to me so far.  I have found that about 2% - 5% of dogs cannot tolerate Comfortis and are better with Revolution. However for the other 95% of dogs, it is a great product.  For more information follow this link http://www.comfortis4dogs.com/

3 Heartworm Preventatives - Veterinarians use the term Heartworm Preventative to refer to this group of medications but they do a lot more than just that. The best of these medications also control the extremely common intestinal worms as well.

  a) Four species of intestinal worms are common in Western North Carolina. These are the Hookworms, Roundworms, Whipworms and Tapeworms. Of these the least dangerous is the Tapeworm.

  b) Interceptor and Heartgard are the most popular and effective heartworm preventatives on the market. Both are safe and effective. Both control Hookworms and Roundworm in addition to Heartworms. I choose the Interceptor  because it controls one extra species of intestinal worm that is common in our area, the Whipworm.

  This link will take you to some pretty good information on Interceptor and the worms it controls.  http://www.interceptor.novartis.us/petowner/po-home.html

Enter secondary content here

Enter supporting content here